Day 21 (Sunday), the suggested run was 5-10 miles. I went 8.5 miles last Sunday without too much pain, so I had been considering pushing for the full 10 miles this week. Running 10 miles is a really huge deal to me because I have finally hit double digits in mileage, I'm a third of the way through a marathon, and I'm turning 30 in two weeks, so a 10 mile run makes me feel pretty much like a badass. I felt especially encouraged by the comparative ease with which I did the 7.5 on Friday, so I spent most of the week on pins and needles to see what I could do for my long run. I carbed up pretty much all day until about 4 pm so that by 8, I wouldn't be too full to run. I drank a quart of water and 1/2 a Blue Sky Cherry Soda about an hour before to give myself a mild sugar rush and plenty of hydration for the run. I had guessed that I would finish in an hour and 56 minutes based on distances and times I've recorded on a spreadsheet since March.
So, I head out at 8 and right off the bat I have a massive cramp in my lower left calf, which unfortunately was bothersome for the duration of my run. For some reason, I always have my first tired moment around 4 miles, then not til around 6 or 7. I turned around at the 5 mile mark on the bike path. I went about another mile and a half when 4 young guys I put to be around high school age passed me. They slowed down until I caught up and sort of surrounded me, asking me questions about running, how far had I gone, how long had I been running, etc. 3 of them continued down the bike path, but one stayed with me for nearly a mile. Oddly enough, I didn't feel creeped out by these kids - they were really sweet. I continued to talk to the one who was who lagged behind with me, surpised that over 7 miles into my jog I could carry on a conversation with someone. Finally, this kid invited me to 'hang out' after my run. I told him that I didn't think it would be a good idea, that I was a little old for him. He said ok and caught up to his friends. I kinda felt bad but I got to thinking I was nearly twice his age. Good God. I'm getting old. At least he helped me kill a mile of my run.
Once I hit the 8 mile mark, I was pretty tired. Once I hit the 9 mile mark, I was feeling a little out of it and my coordination was a bit off. Fortunately, I was so exhausted that I forgot all about the stupid, annoying cramp in my leg. It took all I had to keep my body upright and keep my feet hitting the pavement the right way. I stopped jogging about 50 yards from my apartment to walk out the tiredness in my legs. I finished in one hour, 53 minutes, three minutes before I had projected. Had I been three minutes faster, I would have finished exactly at marathon pace, so I feel pretty damn good about my time. Also, I figure by next week I could do 11. I'll admit I really felt that last mile today. I wanted to stop but I knew that if I stopped, it would just take me that much longer to walk home. So, if this makes any sense, I completed my goal distance today because I was genuinely too tired to stop. Stopping meant I had to consciously think enough to have my brain tell my legs to stop running and reset to walking. This is surprisingly difficult after long distances. After I got home, stretched out, rested, and drank some water, I went to Wendy's, where I got the best baconcheeseburger I think I have ever had. It seemed like the best thing ever. Tomorrow is the 0-6 mile. I think I will shoot for the six so I can make up what I missed from the marathon pace run last Thursday. I'm just sooo excited I made it through today so well. Running 10 miles at age 30 is one thing I can cross off my bucket list.
Miles today: 10
Miles this week: 32.5
Let's see how Angie's 10 miler went: http://thefull26point2.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment