Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 4, New Shoes!!!

So, I skipped my first speed day on Tues because I was depressed over not getting the job I wanted and I ate my weight in Ben & Jerry's to deal with the pain. Wednesday, however, I got new running shoes and tried them out today. I felt a HUGE difference with the new shoes. The 6 mi run I went on today felt kind of, well... easy. I started to go for 7, but decided against it, dreaded the agonizing pain I would feel in my knees that last mile. My knees did hurt by the end of my run, but not nearly as much as usual. Also, I sprinted the last quarter mile uphill. I feel AWESOME!!

So, here's what I've learned about training so far...

1) Drink LOTS of water all day before you run. Staying hydrated all day is what has helped me the most thus far.
2) Wearing the right shoes is important. My old ones had lots of cushioning and arch support, but did not accomodate the movements of my foot while running. I'm not sure what it's called, but I'm one of those weird people who rotate their weight from the outer edge of the heel to the ball of my foot near my big toe. The shoes I bought yesterday are designed for people who run like this. It kind of forces me to keep my feet straight when I run and will reduce my likelihood of injury as I add on distance.

Sooo, tomorrow guess I'm going for 7 miles!!! Woot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment